Monday, November 17, 2014

The Comfort of Pudding

The Morning Platter of Doughnuts
The way I remember it, I had walked into the ultra-modern hotel room with its low-back chairs, sharp-edged tables and three large platinum frames over the bed, displaying canvases with smears and splatters of paint.  Poor references to the artist Pollack.  The early morning sun was streaming in through the sliding glass door but was not so bright I was prevented from seeing the arrangement of fragmented doughnuts on the room service cart.  Each doughnut lay sadly impaired and disfigured, a mangled bite ripped from one of its glazed, powdered or sprinkled and rounded sides.  Beside the dozen or so doughnuts was a half full glass of orange juice, on the television played a re-run of The King of Queens.  In spite of all this evidence, there didn’t appear to be anyone in the room.
I stood in the small rectangular doorway, trying to make sense of the surreal scene before me.  I felt as though I were experiencing one of those moments when once familiar surroundings slide into a thick haze then turn into a freeze-frame of time.  I was reminded of a favoured book I’d read in college.  I think it was “Even Cowgirls Get The Blues.”  One of the characters shuffles his way into the bathroom in the morning to wash up and upon opening the medicine cabinet door sees all the shelves slightly askew and the contents upon them jumbled together at one end. He wonders if what he’s seeing is real or imagined.   
That portion of the book is a poignant one for me since my little sister swears she saw the tooth fairy in our family medicine cabinet one morning when she opened the door to reach for her toothbrush.  Startled, the twinkling figure let out a high pitched squeal, causing my sister to slam the door shut.  My sister was five at the time.  Upon re-opening the door, she says there was a swish and a – poof!  And the fairy was gone.  To this day my sister swears her story is true.  You can even discern a note of sadness in her voice when she re-tells this story.  Still disappointed the tooth fairy disappeared so suddenly.  Sis muses; she shouldn’t have slammed the door shut. 
Back to the predicament of those doughnuts.  I continued standing in the foyer of the room when I heard sounds of retching and vomiting coming through the closed door of the bathroom. 
“Martie?  Martie is that you?  Are you okay?”  I called out.
The sounds continued.
“Martie!  Let me in!” I shouted.
“It’s open you idiot!”  Martie gagged back at me.
I slowly opened the door and saw my travel buddy, a woman I’ve known and loved for years, scrunched up on her knees, bent over the toilet, holding her mane of auburn hair back. 
“Oh no, what can I do to help?”  I asked, ignoring her offending adjective.
“I need a wet washcloth.”  Martie mumbled.
I hurriedly wet one of the soon to be, not-so-white washcloths and handed it to her.
“Thanks Deborah, I didn’t mean to snap at you and call you an idiot.  I’m just sick.  And mad at myself I guess.”
After dabbing her face and scooting a few inches away from the porcelain bus she had been driving, my dear friend proceeded to tell me what had happened.  Martie had succumbed to ordering the “Morning Plate of Assorted Doughnuts” from room service, reasoning if she only took one small bite from each one, she would be able to enjoy the taste without suffering the consequences that usually follows when she consumes bread.    
     “Of course I considered ordering something else from the room service menu for breakfast.”  Martie matter-of-factly explained.
“There was the Tropical Fruit & Yogurt Parfait, the Red Potato and Rosemary Frittata and oh gosh, the Tomato Gratin with grated Asiago cheese looked wonderful.  But my eyes kept drifting back to that Morning Plate.  Then I thought, Martie, you love doughnuts.  You haven’t had a doughnut in months.  Doughnuts aren’t exactly bread.  They’re lighter, softer, and airier.  So after careful deliberation . . . “
“Yea, real careful I see.”  I interrupted.
“After careful deliberation,” Martie continued, “I ordered the Morning Platter.  I gotta tell you Deb, when he wheeled in that cart and I saw those rotund gleams of deliciousness, I was in awe.  How can things so small give so much pleasure?”

“Yup, that’s always the way, isn’t it?”  I glibly replied.
Martie was lost in her doughnut-dream and didn’t appear to hear me.    
“I gave the guy his tip, then plopped down on the edge of my bed, placed the tray on my lap and proceeded to take a teeny-tiny bite of the doughnut closest to me. The simple yet popular, raised maple. I slooowly bit into it, savoring how the rich, mapleness of it melted in my mouth balancing with the chewy, softness of the dough.  I munched ever so slowly, being very careful when swallowing, while eyeing the platter contemplating which one would be next.  I went for the chocolate Old Fashioned, your . . . .”
“My favourite!!”  I interrupted.   I leaned out the bathroom to see if the remains of the chocolate Old Fashioned was still intact.  It was. 
     “That one I ate a little less slowly.  But I did take a moment to note the difference between cake doughnuts and raised ones.  Very different indeed, yet both chocolate and maple icing linger on your tongue just enough to entice you into taking another bite.  Have you ever noticed that Deborah?”
I couldn’t recall taking that much care when eating a doughnut.  Certainly I’ve never done a taste or texture comparison.  Martie went deeper into sharing her doughnut discoveries.
     “I actually smiled with pleasure as the custard-filled bar oozed its French vanilla cream from the corners of my mouth.  I was alone in my room, so I licked my lips as far as my tongue could reach then used my fingers to get the rest of it so none  escaped.  After that bite, I tried the cinnamon and sugar doughnut holes.  Those were a too sugary, but overall the doughnuts were everything I remembered.  Every bite was blissful satisfaction.  I was filled with glee as I took one teeny-tiny bite of each nectarean celestial sphere.”
     “I saw the doughnuts out there Martie.  Those weren’t exactly teeny bites.”

“Well anyway, I figured one little morsel of each would satisfy my craving and wouldn’t be too much for me to digest.  Obviously I was wrong.”  Martie spoke with the same despair my little sister has when she re-tells the tooth fairy story. 
My friend, who has willingly tasted her way through Paris, Costa Rica, the Bahamas, New Orleans and Miami Beach Florida with me, has a sweet tooth that could rival even “Elf.”  You know that Christmas movie and the scene where he pours syrup all over his spaghetti? 
This was never more evident than when Martie had just come home from the hospital following her weight loss surgery.  I had been to the hospital the day of and the day after, as always, my upbeat and energetic friend was in the best of spirits.  In spite of her pain and inability to keep down even water.  But on the about the third or fourth day of recovery at home when I called  to ask how she felt, Martie chirpped;
“Great!  Well I’m a little uncomfortable, but Deb, I have a serious craving for your home-made chocolate pudding.”
“I thought you could only have clear liquids for the next few days following your surgery.”

“Well yes.”  Martie slowly replied, as though she really didn’t want to admit it.

“Martie, my chocolate pudding is anything but clear.” 

“I know that Deborah,” Martie retorted in a tone that only the youngest child in the family can sustain well into adulthood, “but I really want some.”

It was apparent, the soothing warmth promised by a serving of my home-made chocolate pudding was just the consolation Martie felt she needed.  When she told me she couldn’t get the thought of that earthy-dark, velvety-rich, inviting aroma out of her head, I knew I had to do what any good friend would do.  According to Martie, my fudge-like pudding invoked in her a comforting solace from the sterile offerings of broth she had been enduring the last few days.  Nothing on her current menu could offer the same snuggley, culinary embrace of that slow-cooked mixture of Scharffenberger chocolate, instant espresso, chili powder and sweet milk.  I’ve been told this recipe is a luxuriant meld that coats the tongue creating almost a veneer of pleasurable taste over your teeth and gums.  Martie even loves eating the skin that forms on top of the pudding when I forget to cover it with plastic wrap.  She claims it serves as edible insurance to the goodness that lies beneath.  It’s comments like that, I can’t resist.

So of course, what could I do but prepare for her, something so simple, yet serves as a testament of my commitment to our friendship?  I prepared the pudding and later that evening made the drive over to her house.  Watching a good movie, Martie and I sat together spooning our definition of comfort into our receptive mouths.  It was glorious. 

 
INGREDIENTS

1   14-oz can low-fat sweetened condensed milk
1 cup half and half
½ cup fine granulated sugar
4 ounces Scharffenberger unsweetened baking chocolate, broken into small pieces
2 tablespoons Dutch cocoa powder
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
1/8 teaspoon chili powder

2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 large eggs plus 1 additional egg yolk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract    
Garnish, if desired; 1 cup heavy cream whipped with 4 tablespoons powdered sugar

1)       In small mixing bowl whisk together ½ the can of condensed milk, cornstarch, whole eggs and egg yolk heavy – set aside.

2)      In medium saucepot combine remaining can of condensed milk with all the half and half, sugar and cocoa powder whisking over medium heat.  Continue whisking until mixture begins to simmer.  Do not allow to boil.

3)      Remove from heat and whisk in chocolate pieces, until melted and blended

4)      Return saucepot to stove and temper egg mixture with one ladle of warm chocolate mixture then add a second ladle then slowly pour remaining cornstarch mixture into warm chocolate mixture whisking constantly until well blended and mixture begins to thicken.  About 5 – 7 minutes

5)      Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract, espresso powder and chili powder.  Ladle into individual ramekins and serve warm or chilled, if preferred.

 
               Garnish with a dollop of freshly prepared whipped cream

                                                                                               Makes 6  4-ounce servings

 

1 comment: