Ingredients for batter:
1 ½ cups cake flour ¾ cup granulated sugar
¾ tsp baking powder ¼ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
¾ stick unsalted butter – softened 1 Tblsp dark rum
1 tsp vanilla extract ½ cup sour cream
3 large egg yolks
Ingredients for topping:
¾ stick unsalted butter 1 cup dark brown sugar – packed
1 medium pineapple – cored, peeled and sliced (approx 7 slices)
7 maraschino cherries
1) In small mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks, rum, vanilla and ¼ cup of the sour cream. Set aside
2) In large mixing bowl sift together dry ingredients, mixing on very low just to combine.
3) Add butter and remaining sour cream just until dry ingredients are moistened.
4) Increase speed and add yolk mixture in 3 batches, mixing well after each addition. Set aside batter
5) In 10” cast iron skillet, melt butter for topping over low heat. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter and allow to sugar to dissolve. Don’t stir. When sugar has dissolved, remove skillet from heat and place on pineapple ring in center of pan. Place as remaining pineapple rings around edges of pan. Place 1 cherry in center of each ring.
6) Gently pour batter over pineapples, spreading evenly.
Bake in 350 degree oven about 35 minutes, until inserted pick come out clean. Run metal spatula around sides of skillet then immediately and carefully invert skillet onto cake plate. I don’t usually have any trouble with cake loosening from skillet. But when I do, I simply use my knife and piece it back together.