Sunday, September 21, 2014

Reaching Full Bloom


I’ve been noticing the Roses on my once flourishing rose bush have been drying out and turning brown before reaching their fullest expression.  Not being allowed to open and strike their point of splendor seems a poignant mirroring of life lately.  According to my gardening books, the issue could be frost.  They say covering the rose bush; a term referred to as “cocooning” may help.  But it’s September in Las Vegas, frost is not an issue.  Blight? – A moldy type of infection.  Or perhaps it’s insects, Thrips.  The suggestions for these inflictions are insect repellant and fungicide.  I’m hesitant to use anything less than organic insect repellent or fungicide, since I use my rose petals for culinary purposes on occasion.  Did I over-feed them?  No, haven’t done much in the way of fertilizing this year.  One suggestion was going back to basics; “a good thorough watering might cure these ailing these blooms”. 

  Likely, I will give all the suggestions a try.  Anything to bring forth the much looked forward to burgeoning display of sun-bright yellow discs, situated in a desert landscape, which ordinarily draws the attention and appreciation of every neighbor who walks by my garden. 

If only the solutions to remedy the early demise of my Rose blossoms were as easily applied to the early passing of our loved ones.   

I’m home now from weeks of preparation and finally, the actual service and Life Celebration for my brother-in-law, Dan.  I don’t mean to sound maudlin as I embrace the circle of life.  I understand there exists an ebb and flow, the ying and yang, give and take, birth and death.  But cerebral knowledge of this inevitable cycle, gives little emotional consolation to those of us left behind. 

 Over the past several days, I’ve watched how my sister, her children, Dan’s childhood friends and co-workers sought comfort amongst themselves, myself and own children included.  Pondering these events, I realized how everyone who has a story to tell or experience they’ve shared with the one who has passed, becomes an immediate and vital nutrient in our own personal ecosystem. 

The morning of the service, between the seeking of nylon stockings, assisting one another with our makeup, ensuring my nephew’s tie was on straight, (he was incredibly handsome in his suit), and taking turns with the hair stylist my sister hired for the morning, (we still wanted to look pretty), I made breakfast for the kids.  Simple scrambled eggs with sautéed mushrooms, scallions and grated cheeses.  It always amazes me how many people tend to over-cook these delicate albumens and their rich yolks.  Low and slow, (Dan’s method for roasting his Thanksgiving turkeys – yes 20-some-odd-hours in a 250 degree oven!), is the most effective method for keeping the eggs from drying out and turning brown, like those roses of mine.  My daughter Sharon and her cousins consumed their scrambles, sourdough toast and fresh blood oranges with gusto, in spite of their dampened spirits.

Dan’s service was held Friday afternoon at the National Cemetery, Honorable and filled with Grace were my sister and the children.  Afterwards we gathered together at my sister’s home and attentively listening to the exchange of those nourishing memories.  Nodding our heads, knowing it was just like Dan to do or say that.  There was laughter and tears.  The number of those present to celebrate my brother-in-law was grand.  So of course, I was inspired to prepare a fine meal to express my love and support towards my brother-in-law, my sister, her children, and their friends. 

It was the day following Dan’s service when I prepared my heartfelt meal for those of us who chose to stay behind another day or two.  My sister and I had to visit 4 different markets in search of chemical-free, culinary flowers.  But don’t let this put you off.  Though not commonly found in average grocery stores, edible flowers are indeed available in your more upscale markets, sometimes at your local nursery, they can be special ordered, or better yet, grow your own!  But we found them! ~ a small packet located in the produce section amid the packages of ready-to-use herbs. 

I began by pouring my 5:00 glass of wine, a nice Italian Pinot.  I set up mis en place on the enormous island situated in the center of my sister’s well-equipped kitchen.  My meal would consist of steamed rice, roasted summer vegetables, a mixed green salad, baguette and for the entrée, a variation of the Chicken a la Rose I mentioned in my last Blog. 

It didn’t take long for my sister, daughter, nieces and nephews to comment on the aroma of the simply seasoned chicken browning in the olive oil and unsalted butter.  Next, the summer squash, eggplant, red onions and fresh garlic were given a good rub down with olive oil, kosher salt and Herbs de Provence, then placed in the oven.  I efficiently prepped the salad and whisked the dressing.  I had already prepared my Orange & Lemon Granita, so between cutting, sautéing and stirring, I would open the freezer to give the mixture a good scraping with a fork. 

By the time I had poured my second glass of wine, the table was set and my meal was ready.  It took all of three minutes for my family and Dan’s friends to fill their plates and commence eating.  Ooh’s, ah’s and questions, even an expressed concern about flowers on their food, were admonished once the quiet of enjoyment and pleasure overtook their palates.   This is a most simple recipe yet elegant in presentation.  One I can only hope, is worthy of Dan, (the man). 




 

INGREDIENTS
6 chicken thighs – bone in, skin removed or boneless/skinless breasts
2 tablespoons olive oil                        2 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 sprigs fresh thyme                           salt/pepper to taste              4 cloves fresh garlic - minced
1 cup golden raisins            1 cup slivered almonds              ¼ teaspoon almond extract
½ - 1 cup low sodium chicken broth                                        6 culinary rose blossoms

1)      Clean chicken under running water, while removing skin, then dab dry w/paper towel

2)      Heat olive oil and butter in large skillet over medium heat

3)      Season both sides of chicken w/salt and pepper then brown on both sides in heated skillet

4)      Remove chicken from skillet and set to drain on paper towel lined plate

5)      Lower heat and using flipping spatula, scrape fond, (those delicious bits of cooked chicken) from bottom of pan.

6)      Add minced garlic, 3 thyme sprigs-leaves only and raisins, sauté just until soft

7)      Meanwhile, using a mortar and pestle, gently crush together ½ cup of the almonds and ½ of the rose blossoms, stems removed – add to skillet

8)      Pour in broth and almond extract, stir.  Return chicken to pan and simmer, covered, over low heat until cooked through – about 20 minutes.  Taste for seasoning - adjust if needed.

9)      When ready to serve arrange chicken on serving platter and garnish with remaining almonds, thyme leaves and scattered rose petals. 

                                                                                          Serves 6

 

1 comment:

  1. There is something so comforting about enjoying good food with family and close friends during such times of grief. I enjoy reading your heartfelt stories, Deborah, along with the wonderful recipes. The chicken dish looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete