Sunday, July 13, 2014

SIMPLICITY - MINIMALISM - LESS is MORE

Just 5 ingredients plus seasonings

     These are terms not usually associated with food.  But when applied to the preparation of a dish, the result can indeed become extraordinary.  While I am down with going on search and seizure missions to find authentic file, (FEE-lay), powder when preparing my friend Jeremiah’s gumbo or driving to where there’s water to buy the freshest Opah, (Moonfish), for poaching, or putting out more than a few dollars to purchase an electric raclette to cook up the traditional Swedish appetizer of the same name,  it is those dishes with five ingredients or less that seem to appease the most ferocious of appetites, the most sophisticated of palates and the most picky of eaters. 
     After a tough week of work, family matters and fiscal responsibilities, the usual stress factors we all encounter during the course of any given week, I yearn for uncomplicated food.  For me Monday and Tuesday nights may be a light meal I’ve prepared for myself in an earnest attempt to “nail it” as my “Fitbit” encourages.  By Wednesday or Thursday I’ve resorted to my old stand-by of “Slam Eating.”  A technique I honed while raising four children.  This minimalistic style of meal preparation and consumption entails grabbing whatever is mold-less and free of funny smells from the refrigerator then standing over the kitchen sink, rapidly and without fanfare or etiquette, biting into and inhaling my dinner.  This tactic is also used when I have to hurry home and get right back out the door to attend a meeting, class or practice.  Yes, memories of baseball games, recitals, and back-to-school nights dance in my head as I shove a variety of food items ranging from Boursin cheese smeared on crackers to pesto aioli scooped into the two halves of a large avocado to left-over barbecued chicken rolled into a flour tortilla . . . cold.  But I am not a complete animal.  To the right of my sink in a real glass, is a complex Pinot Noir, perhaps an Argentinean Malbec or when eating tuna from the can with a bit of garlic vinaigrette stirred in, a nice Sauvignon Blanc from northern California.  By Friday, I’m on the couch with a bowl of cereal.  No wine.  While those meals are definitely simple they’re hardly satisfying. But the weekend is here I am refreshed and enthusiastic about preparing something wonderfully unpretentious for myself and my friends. 
     I’ve prepared polenta.  This adaptable and yielding cornmeal mixture, (yellow or white), consoles and soothes the harried spirit.  Without fail, I find myself embraced in appreciation of the elegance this Italian staple expresses as it unfolds across the platter when poured from the saucepot in full, round waves of yellow-gold.  Like a buxom woman who is both beautiful and confident, polenta can arrive at your table as breakfast fare, a side dish or the foundation upon which a rich Bolognese, steak au poivre medallions or stuffed and seasoned pork chops are to be displayed and embellished.  Polenta is a combination of only a few basic ingredients coming together and offering the best of simple abundance.
     My polenta arrived at the party as a side dish.  A swirling mixture of yellow and white cornmeal loving whisked with chicken broth and seasonings. I am diligent in my attendance to the saucepot, stirring with my wooden spoon adding more liquid as the mixture thickens, careful to not allow clumping or excessive sticking.  At the end of cooking I add grated Parmesan cheese and on occasion, a splash of half and half.  Thick and creamy, our amalgamation is festooned with roasted red bell peppers and poached eggs.  Polenta truly is the manifestation of less being more than enough. 



No comments:

Post a Comment