Saturday, July 5, 2014

Redirected Potato Salad



Approximately twelve hours ago a display of colourful explosions were seen and heard by locals along with hundreds of gaping tourists.  Still evident this morning as they were yesterday, oversized marshmallow clouds are nudging against one another in our Las Vegas sky.  Some blended with a soft charcoal grey amid the white.  The surge of rain that emerged from the desert sky was no deterrent to the show of patriotism each of the Big Name Hotels executed one-by-one along the Strip.  What was once a stiff competition of sight and sound has become a well choreographed, sequential dance of sparkling lights literally shooting into the atmosphere.  Seemingly high above the beam that extends from the Luxor, diminishing if only for a few moments, the horizontal movement of Neon below.  It was loud and exciting.  In today’s aftermath of sparklers and those things that “pop” when thrown to the ground I grab my broom to sweep it all away, as I ponder.   My morning is focused on prepping for that other 4th of July weekend tradition, the family barbeque. 

     A couple of weeks ago, I showed off and shared with you the barbeque event spent with friends when I prepared a sumptuous Paella.  This afternoon my grandson, children and their dad will arrive with coolers and appetites in tow to enjoy a more traditional barbecue menu.  Grilled chicken slathered with a rich and smoky homemade sauce, (after the meat is will almost fully cooked and not moved every three minutes).  Grilled corn-on-the-cob, husks tied back in semblance of a hemp-belted skirt.  Then spread with my compound butter of grated Asiago and fresh cracked pepper.  Of course there will be burgers and dogs, but I’ll include a few large Portobello mushrooms on the grill for my non-meat eaters.  Spheres of melted Provolone will sit atop each mushroom and beef/pork patty, with a dollop of my “secret sauce,” a pesto aioli.  Green salad and fresh watermelon, (which I’ve decided to grill), will abound amid the chips and dip. 

     But the one side-dish my family most associates with the 4th of July is potato salad.  Yes, that pell mell of starch, hard boiled eggs and mayonnaise, along with a vegetable or two, if you count black olives as vegetables.   Unfortunately I have among my four children one who has never liked mayonnaise.  Growing up his lunch sandwiches were prepared with mustard only.  This resulted in our refrigerator going beyond the standard trifecta of condiments; ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise.  We had whole grain mustard, spicy mustard, honey mustard, Grey Poupon even champagne mustard.  Sometimes our son opted out of any condiment smeared on the two slices of bread bookending his lunch meat. 

    With his then small pudgy hand the spreadable gauntlet was thrown years ago.  Since I am always up to the task of doing my very best to create recipes for those who claim they don’t like something, I strive to come up with adaptations or well disguised ingredients to entice their wary and reluctant palates.  Obviously a new fandangled potato salad recipe is long overdue.  In years past I have tried adding bacon, pickles, more eggs, less mayonnaise.  I’ve labored, whisking together home-made mayonnaise.  Once I prepared a potato salad that completely omitted mayonnaise and used bacon fat, vinegar and mustard instead.  He was thrilled but no one else at my picnic table was.  They said it was good, but it wasn’t regular potato salad.  

     This year I am going to camouflage and conceal that rich mixture of egg yolk and oil by redirecting this now, grown man’s taste buds.  I am going to give his mouth such a thrill he’ll never know what hit him between the gums.   

     Now done with my sweeping, I’m inspired to go for hot and firey.  Flavors his Puerto Rican tongue can rejoice in.  I’m going to give him and the rest of the family, a fusion of taste that will first yell HOT! - then HERBAL! - then SMOOOTH!   I am going to use just a little mayonnaise, (to appease the other members of our clan), but the cloak and dagger of my efforts will come from the jalapeno, cilantro, black beans and sour cream. 

   This is what I gathered together;

about 4 lbs of Red Bliss potatoes, (you want waxy ones; Red or New, Yukon Gold)

1 large can of black beans – rinsed                                 ½ large red onion – medium diced

½ - 1 fresh jalapeno pepper – seeds and ribs removed, minced -  (I suggest wearing gloves)

½ cup fresh cilantro – chopped                                                 3 cloves garlic – minced

¼ cup mayonnaise                          ¾ cup sour cream                       1/8 cup mustard

salt & pepper to taste                    pinch cayenne pepper               zest from 2 limes

*capers – optional

 

This is what I did;

1)      Cleaned the potatoes, then rough cut into easily eaten cubes – all about the same size

2)      I placed my steamer basked into a pot and filled it with only enough water to just touch the bottom of the basket.  I salted the water, then brought it to a boil.

3)      Once the water was boiling, I lowered the heat to a simmer, then using tongs lowered the basket into the pot. I filled the basket with about 1/3 of the potatoes.   Covered the pot and let the potatoes steam until tender – about 12 minutes.  It took about 3 batches, but trust me, steamed potatoes make a real difference in taste and texture.

4)      Meanwhile I combine beans, onion, ½ the cilantro, garlic & jalapeno,( the HEAT), and zest of one of the limes into a large serving bowl , season with salt to taste and set aside

5)      When all the potatoes were steamed I season with salt and pepper, allow them to cool, then added them to the serving bowl mixture.

6)      Gently, I folded in the mayo, mustard, sour cream, (the SMOOTH), remaining cilantro, (the HERBAL), and zest of second lime

7)      I seasoned with the salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.

Now, Puerto Rican food is traditionally NOT spicy so all this heat is a bit of a deviation.  To bring my potato salad home a bit, I decided to add 2 tablespoons of capers.  This serves to give the tang we usually get from pickles and is a tribute to my Nana’s use of either green pimento-stuffed olives or capers in her arroz con pollo.  They’re going to love this! 



No comments:

Post a Comment