Thursday, January 14, 2016

Vv ~ Vanilla

Splitting a fresh Vanilla bean to extract flavorful seeds. 
     Vanilla(Spanish for little pod) is a bit of a seasonal stretch this week.  Seeing as we can purchase this flavor enhancer pretty much year round.  But I’ve been doing a lot of that lately, stretching I mean. 
     I’m not a New Year’s resolution maker, but I do enjoy the feeling of waking to a clean slate and a fresh start every January 1st.    I know some of you have renewed your commitment to working out regularly.  My gym is always more crowded for the first few months of the New Year.  Some of my friends kicked off 2016 by engaging in a cleanse just as they did last year.  Still others focus on being kinder towards others.  I’m hoping they can hold to that self-promise for more than three trips in the car.  It can be quite annoying to drive around here. 
     As for me, I plan on stretching myself throughout 2016 in areas of my life that could use increased attention while simultaneously bringing some of my projects (many of which have been progressing  for years) to completion. 
     The first of those would include publishing, printing and selling my cookbook
One 4-Ounce Serving – A Collection of Food Stories and Recipes by end of February.  Another area I plan on extending myself in this year is Travel.  Many of you know my dear friends, Nancy, Brenda, and I will be going to Umbria, Italy to hike the Franciscan Trail in May.  We have a Blog for that: www.foodfaithalzheimers.blogspot.com.  Of course, I will make my annual trip to Palo Alto to visit with Mother, my brother Kirk and friends.  El Dorado Hills is a regular stop for me, love hanging out with my little sis and her kids.  Arizona needs to be on the list and absolutely Seattle to visit my darling grandson.  All that travel includes plenty of Family time, another important component worthy of my attention.  Other areas of focus for me this year is my Financial standing, would like to be on more solid ground with that one.  My Health, nothing like a little strokey-stroke to get your attention and set you straight on pacing yourself, making healthy food choices and acknowledging life’s real priorities.  Cooking, teaching, gardening with improvements and updates for the house, all segments of my life I wish to bring into sharper focus. 
     My list is common, nothing earth shattering really.   I attribute this to acknowledgment of my current abundance of blessings and good stuff.  Honestly, my cupboards are stocked, I exercise daily I have regular contact with my children.  I write, cook and teach at least five times per week.  And most of those trips are already on my calendar.  So what’s with wanting more?  Am I never really satisfied?  Is the grass always greener on the other side?  What gives?  And what does all this have to do with Vanilla? 

     I see the connection as embracing opportunity.  Reminding ourselves that once we have spent the day, it’s done.  No do-overs.  We can’t go back and ask to have that day returned for bad judgment or poor choices, nor can we change what we did, said or thought.  So Carpe dium!  And do it right, with thought and feeling. 
Vanilla Bean Vine - Wish we Smell-a-Vision! 
 
     The vanilla pod, as we know it, grows on the vine of one specific Orchid of the genus Vanilla, whose origins are in Mexico.  There exist a symbiotic relationship between this choosy flower and her natural pollinator, the Melipona Bee, which also is found solely in Mexico.   What’s more, there is only a 1% chance of successful pollination.  Once pollination is complete, if successful, the flower dies within hours and a single vanilla pod will grow from it. 
     All these “perfect storm” conditions and brief windows of opportunity seem to align with my personal realization that I better get myself ready for all those good things I want out of life.  How can I be that authentic and best version of myself as intended?
   I start by Preparing my Soil, doing my personal work, getting my mind straight and showing up.  Pruning, I do this by staying fit and healthy.  Pollination (well obviously that’s already happened – I have four children)  I’m referring to pollination as it relates to connecting myself to the right people, places and things so my goals and dreams can indeed come to fruition. 
     Vanilla is now hand harvested, thanks to the ingenious efforts of a twelve year old slave boy who figured out what a Belgian botanist couldn’t, and is grown in greenhouses in Madagascar, Réunion, and the Cormoros Islands.  But the cultivating and harvesting of Vanilla is still such a labor intensive endeavor, it remains the second most expensive spice in the entire world.  Saffron is the most expensive and cardamom is third. 
      Taking a page from Vanilla’s precarious beginnings and laborious processes ending with a much sought-after and seductive aromatic is akin to what I aspire to.  I too want to be a woman who is prized and appreciated for my ability to enhance both sweet and savory dishes, or in my case, situations.   I too yearn for a journey that is both dependent upon nature’s gifts with a particular set of circumstances that when everything is as it should be, allows me to thrive permeating the lives of others in a most pleasant and tasteful manner. 

    Here is a healthful and delicious recipe for Vanilla Granola Bars I hope you’ll enjoy!

I didn't actually use the coconut chips this time, I used coconut oil as directed in my recipe.

 Ingredients

   2 ½   cups rolled oats (can use gluten-free oats)          ½ oat flour ( grind your oats in mini processor)
   ½ teaspoon salt                                                                   ½ cup brown sugar
   ½ teaspoon cinnamon                                                        ½ cup vanilla whey protein powder
   3 cups mixture of your choice of nuts, seeds, dried fruits  (cut dried fruit into small pieces)
   ½ vanilla Greek yogurt                                                        1/3 cup peanut or almond butter
   1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste                                        4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
   2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted                                    ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons, light corn syrup                                 


Procedure                                                                                          Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Line a 13x9” pan with parchment paper that extends a bit over the edges, then lightly grease parchment  with non-stick spray.

    In a large mixing bowl combine all dry ingredients, including nuts, seeds and dried fruits.  Set aside.

In a separate, medium bowl, stir together, yogurt, peanut or almond butter, vanilla paste, butter, coconut oil and corn syrup.  Using a rubber/silicone spatula, stir wet ingredients into large bowl of dry ingredients.  Spread the mixture into prepared/lined pan, using the spatula to help press the mixture firmly into pan.

Bake for 15-25 minutes, until edges are golden brown.  The mixture may feel somewhat soft in the center when you touch it, but will firm up while cooling.  When cool enough to handle, lift mixture out of pan by holding onto edges of the parchment.  Set on top of cutting board and cut into individual bars.  Allow to completely cool, then wrap and store in refrigerator. 

If you like your bars less chewy and more crunchy, place cut bars back onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake another 10-15 minutes before wrapping and storing.   
Sticky, Gooey, Chewy - just like Mom used to make.  Oh wait . . . 
Notice the rich amount of Vanilla seeds in the paste.  Lots of sweet flavor!
I don't usually do this, but I'm going to give my store, Sur La Table a plug here, as that's where you can purchase Vanilla Bean Paste.  

No comments:

Post a Comment