Sunday, May 17, 2015

Hh - Halibut & Hyssop, But Not Together, (but I guess you could)

Swwwish ~ Zooom~Aaahhhh.  Those are the sounds of my recent blowing around from Vegas to Sacramento , Ashland Oregon to Carson City, San Diego and back again.  I’ve been doing a bit of traveling and have lots of food fodder to share.  So I’ll get right to it.
Sacramento was our first stop, (I was traveling with my youngest daughter), to pick up my mother, sister and nieces.  My eldest niece, a kindred spirit, as she is truly a mini-me of me, had taken the time to prepare a simple yet flavorful cream of mushroom soup upon our arrival.  Of course there was ample wine as mother, my mini-me and I enjoy our squeezed and fermented grapes, then we were off to bed.

We rose very early the next morning embarking upon our “road trip” to Ashland.  The five hour drive provided us with all kinds of girl talk, country music, (they allowed me ONE song from the sixties), and stunning topography that went from green to greener and more lush.  Bathroom stops included healthy snacks comprised of beef jerky, animal crackers and chocolate milk.  By our final stop we began to complain about the chill in the air as we rummaged the car in search of sweaters and jackets.  Upon exiting the little market with more snacks, we chatted it up with some very friendly gentlemen, (that always happens when my sister and I go out with our daughters), warning us about the excitable highway patrol officers who are drawn to cars with California license plates.  When they saw us wrap our sweaters and jackets tighter around ourselves, they chuckled.  One of the men told us we would only get colder, as we headed further north, “up into the clouds.”  He was right. 
Our 4:30 a.m. wake up time was worth it.  We arrived at the Shakespeare box office just in time for our 11:30 matinee.  Oh, opps, wait ~ Note; Mother and I are notorious for making little mistakes such as scheduling limos to pick us up 24-hours prior to when we actually need to be picked up.  Or, we find ourselves standing at someone’s door for a garden party, with our thoughtfully prepared dish for the potluck, only to be told by our baffled hostess, the party is tomorrow.  In our efforts to do better, we’ve started emailing one to ensure our flights are synchronized.  And yet, to our dismay, we recently discovered while our flights arrived within minutes of each other we were days apart.  She a week too early, me a week too late.  Anyway, this day was one such mistake; the matinee didn’t start until 1:30.  Sharon and my nieces immediately began grumbling about losing a good two hours of beauty sleep.  As if they needed it!
No worries, a marvelous aromatic scent emitting from the restaurant next door, tickled our noses and activated our salivary glands.  We entered; no wait of course, ordered lunch and officially began our vacation with glasses of wine and Prosecco.  Lunch was followed by a bit of shopping, since we still had time before the show.  We were all shocked and surprised about the no sales tax thing in Oregon.  But no one more than I, as I watched my sister and nieces try on and purchase my favourite style of sandal, Birkenstocks.  They must have caught the Hippy-Dippy fever as we descended that last mountain into downtown Ashland.  I don’t recall anyone getting that excited about Berkies when I wore them back in the ‘60’s and ‘70’s! 
Amid mild rain storms, backstage tours and theater productions there were two amazing meals.  The first was at The Loft, the second at Alchemy.  For me the meal at The Loft was ahmaazing. 

Dining with others whose culinary knowledge and experiences range from actually cooking, to watching Food Network to well . . . just eating, always serves to heighten my enthusiasm for a meal.  My youngest niece had been told by one of her co-workers, if she had a chance, to order charcuterie.  After explaining charcuterie is a platter of selected meats and pork specialties, such as pates, rillettes and galantines with perhaps a few cornichons or olives and always bread, my table-mates agreed to make that our choice of shared appetizer.  It was fabulous.   For dinner Alicia ordered a comforting, rainy-day macaroni and cheese, my daughter and eldest niece shared a hearty bowl of bouillabaisse, mother ordered duck nestled on a bed of polenta.  The polenta, I’m afraid was the best part.  My sister and I shared the Alaskan Halibut.  And not just because Halibut begins with Hh, my letter for this week’s Blog, but the server’s description was so good.  When the platter was set before us, our generous portion of this northern Pacific flatfish relative was adorned with fresh morels, asparagus and carrots.  All drizzled with a champagne beurre noisette.  The flavor was clean yet rich.  I loved it! 


To say Halibut can be included in my alpha-food journey is not the stretch you may think it is.  Though we have access to halibut year round, according to my research, halibut fishing season begins in May for Oregon and Washington State.  This means we get the best fresh caught from late spring to early summer.    A friend of mine who is a regular traveling fisherman claimsAugust is the month when halibut is most abundant.  He says the cost of fresh caught in the stores should be lower than as well.  Since August is part of summer,  I’m going with my research and when my friend snaps on his fishing vest and slings his pole over his shoulder. 

On to Carson City for a week of work.  Nothing terribly exciting about my food there.  My work peers and I usually head for the nearest grocery store upon arrival so we can stock the mini-fridge in our hotel rooms.  I purchased some hummus along with crudités, cheese wine and water, but that’s it for Carson.
I arrived back at McCarran long enough to walk my oversized suitcase out to my associate’s car then turn right back around to get on another flight for San Diego.  My trip to Mission Beach was for a Dragon Boat race with a group of women who can out-paddle and out-sweat any co-ed team.  And that is just what we did!  Three heats later, against mixed teams, since they had cancelled the women’s only event due to lack of sign-ups, and beating our own best time, we were due for a party.  And party we did!  With plenty of beer, spicy poke fish tacos, fresh, bright ceviche and individual team member recognition.  
  
It was Sunday morning when my team/roommate and I went in search of a good cup of coffee.  Just around the corner of our hotel we found ourselves in Old Town amid a huge Cinco de Mayo celebration.  No Starbucks, Peet’s or Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, just good old coffee/ice cream shops, a torrent of Mexican restaurants, clothing and shoe vendors and a marvelous array of hyped-up-lowered vintage American cars.  Still there were plenty of homes not converted into commercial venues.  Instead, they had weathered patio furniture, obviously still in use, decorative clay pottery littered about and a near forest of Hibiscus, Hydrangeas and Bougainvillea.  But one little pueblo like house stood out.  This homeowner was a real gardener.   Though still somewhat unruly the garden displayed an abundance of edibles.  Fruit trees, citrus trees, tomatoes and herbs.  Tons of herbs, most I recognized immediately as my friend tested my herbology knowledge.  One herb stumped me.  But only for a moment; it was hyssop.  It took me a minute to call out its name as I scrutinized the mint scented, tarragon shaped leaves and tall spindly stems with small blueish-purple flowers at the top.  The plant didn’t seem to be in full bloom yet, but once I reached my hand through the black, rod iron fencing, to pluck and smell the herb, that licorice scented flowers were the give-a-way. 
I have only had the pleasure of growing hyssop once, since I don’t ever see it at our local nurseries.  
Odd, as hyssop would do well here Vegas.  Drought and deer tolerant, we don’t have deer but certainly heat.  And it draws butterflies and hummingbirds.   When I harvested my hyssop I used it every chance I could.  Adding it to salads, atop brie cheese and infused in my ice teas, and cooked carrots.  I used to eat my raw carrots dipped in Ranch dressing and the cooked carrots in a bath of butter, cumin and marmalade.  Later, making healthier choices I began dipping my raw carrots in hummus and figuring my marmalade glazed carrots carried too much sugar I thought the culinary hyssop might be a nice alternative.  I was right.  The hyssop gave a unique and real Peter Rabbit herbaceousness to my side dish. 
Hyssop is an herb that goes way back.  There are several mentions of it in the Bible from Moses to John the Baptist.  The ancient Greeks boiled hyssop with rue, (another herb also known as “herb of grace”), and honey, then use the concoction as a cough remedy.   Here’s my hyssop concoction:
Ingredients
1 lb of baby carrots           ½ cup vegetable stock       salt and pepper to taste
1 Tblsp orange marmalade (this is far less than I used to use)
1 Tblsp unsalted butter     1 tsp finely chopped culinary hyssop leaves – save flowers for garnish

1)      In medium saucepot, combine carrots, stock, marmalade and butter.  Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat.
2)      Cook until carrots have softened a little but still have some snap and liquid has thickened, about 8-12 minutes
3)      Remove from heat and pour into serving bowl.  Toss with chopped hyssop leaves and season to taste with salt and pepper. 
4)      Garnish with hyssop flowers and serve immediately

                                                                                     Makes 2-3 servings



I couldn't help myself, I added currants to this one.



No comments:

Post a Comment