Monday, June 16, 2014



     What to do, what to do.  Not one to buy into the concept of “lack” at least not since I’ve mastered the art of meditation and affirmations, on occasion, upon opening the door of my magnificent Viking , I wonder; how can a self-proclaimed foodie, well-read cookbook, certified chef, have such a sparsely populated refrigerator?  This happens more often than you think.   Why? – You may wonder.  Is it because she lives alone so only buys for one?  Oh, it’s because she’s a state employee. . .$ and she’s between pay days.  Perhaps it’s because she’s always watching her weight and doesn’t like to have too much food on hand?  She bought clothes this month instead of food?  She helped out someone who was in greater need, (sees it as tithing).   On any given week, the answer is “yes” to at least one of those suppositions. 

     But that can happen to any of us.  Add in getting caught unawares when Murphy’s Law weaves his way through a barely visible opening, somewhere, and your find yourself invited to a gathering of friends.  Really good friends, friends we haven’t seen in a while.  Of course we don’t want to miss the event so we accept only to find out it’s a potluck.  What to do, what to do. 

     This was just my predicament the other night.  I found myself short on cash, but as I once told my youngest son, we are never short on creativity.  With my superhero bistro apron tied around my waist and a strong “I can do it” attitude, I scrounged through my refrigerator.  I rummaged through my cupboards.  I peered into the recesses of my spice drawer.  I spied a couple of onions, and a few lemons.  There was a small plastic container, with a little less than half of its original amount of grated cheese, along with four eggs and two sticks of butter.  I discovered I had ONE frozen sheet of puff pastry.  Idea. 

     I’ll prepare a caramelized onion tart, I said to myself.   Impressive to look at and a delicious tribute to the simplicity the French can sometimes adhere to.    I received a text asking if I’d like to bring a salad or appetizer, I immediately texted back “appetizer.” 

    I couldn’t find my rectangular tart pan.  No worries, the surge of confidence in my creative problem solving had bloomed like a package of yeast poured into a bowl of warm-sugary water, I knew I’d come up with something.    I didn’t have much time so I removed the frozen pastry from the box, placed it on a floured board, covered it lightly with a damp towel and set it outside on my patio table, in the Las Vegas sun.  Knowing it would thaw in less than an hour.  Meanwhile I thinly sliced the onions then cut the rounds in half.  I learned this is an important aspect of preparing cooked onions when you don’t want strings of onion hanging from your guest’s mouths.  I sautéed them in a little olive oil and unsalted butter until they were soft and supple, and wore a beautiful rich tan.  I seasoned lightly with salt and pepper and set them to the side.  I went outside to get the pasty, it was soft and ready to use.  In the corner of eye I noticed my thyme and decided to use some along with a tablespoon of fresh lemon zest to my tart. 

     Where is that tart pan?  I found the round ones, but this appetizer has so few ingredients, I wanted the shape to be more interesting than the traditional round.  I found my rectangular serving platter, hmmmm, nope it can’t be used for baking purposes in a hot oven.  What to do, what to do.  Well, puff pastry holds its shape fairly well; I will just roll it out on the floured board to measurements equal with my serving platter!  Using my biggest spatula, I placed the pastry on a foiled baking sheet, lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.   I then pinched the edges of the pastry, so it would hold the filling.  Tasting the onions, they needed a little something.  Oh! ~ My thyme and the lemon zest.   I stripped the tiny leaves from their stems and crumbled them into the skillet with the onions, then added the zest.  I held off using more salt, knowing the Asiago cheese is naturally salty.  I spread the onion mixture over the prepared pastry, sprinkled the cheese over the top, then added little dots of butter here and there.  This is after all, French.  I grabbed one of the eggs, mixed it in a small bowl with a little water, to make an egg wash, and brushed the edges of my tart.  This gives the pastry a shiny and golden tone when it emerges from the oven. 

     375 degrees and 20 minutes later my appetizer was ready.  The girls loved the tart!  The sweetness of the onions mixed with the salty cheese provided my friends with that flavor combination so right with a glass of chilled Sauvignon Blanc.  The fresh thyme and lemon added a citrusy brightness that was not the least bit over-powering.  With her mouth full one of the girls actually said,

     “Deborah, you always know just what to do.” 

     If she only knew, well I guess she does now. 




No comments:

Post a Comment