Tuesday, May 13, 2014


     Yes, it has indeed taken me some time to find my way around this commercial-kitchen-like world of blogging.  Over the past several months I've opened cupboards, rummaged around drawers, sifted through containers of seasonings and spices and have managed to assemble a decent array of ingredients, recipes and food stories.  Though the time since my last entry is comparable to perhaps, the longest and slowest braise ever, I've prepared some wonderful food experiences and recipes to share. 
     To begin I'd like to invite you to a review of my recent Supper Club event.  With the onset of Spring I decided to select a fresh and festive theme.  Caribbean breezes came to mind.  I visited the Caribbean in 2009 and the memories of the colours, scents and tastes I enjoyed during that trip were easy to conjure up.  My supper club mates embraced the idea of participating in the re-creation of my visit to the islands of Barbados, Martinique, St. Kitts, and Grenada. 
     The weather cooperated that evening allowing the sun to stream in, with a gentle breeze winding its way through open plantation shutters.  My neighbors probably felt teased as the aromatic winding of my Cinnamon Chicken & Plantains cooking on the stove, wafted its way under their noses. 
     My sister, who traveled with me that year, had committed herself to establishing a mood of island play by setting a tablescape of pastel-coloured place-settings, butterfly napkin rings hugging floral patterned linen napkins and arranging twinkling lights around the table edges and outdoor umbrellas.  As our friends began to arrive she turned up the Calypso music and offered each guest a tall Goombay Smash.  We all chatted and visited, while we watched the veritable parade of dishes being placed on the table; Black Bean Salsa w/Exotic Fruit appetizer, Jonah & Colin's Caribbean Seafood Salad, Jamaican Brown Stew, Bahamian Shrimp & Scallops, and a Mango Tart. The food sitting before us was indeed an echo of my trip to the Caribbean. 
     If you're interested in preparing one of these refreshing and, frankly, healthy dishes watch for my next entry.  And don't worry, I won't leave you hanging for more than a few days this time!



    

No comments:

Post a Comment